Dish racks are great to use in the kitchen but sometime their cleaning process gives us a terrible headache. They’re very efficient and easy to use, but they to collect water in the trays and need constant cleaning so that mildew and slime build up underneath.
No matter what they’re made of, dish racks do need cleaning from time to time, so that they remain safe for use.
Regular cleaning of a Dish Rack
Here’s what you need for that:
- A sink
- White vinegar
- Dish liquid
- A clean towel
Here are the steps to do the regular cleaning as dish racks may also get dirty from the grease in the kitchen or regular household dust.
- Take the rack apart as much as you can.
- Wash each of its piece separately in the sink with dish liquid. Don’t miss any parts to rub and use a scrub brush to get in the small grooves
- Rinse the dish rack thoroughly
- Go the extra mile and fill one side of your sink with some water to cover the dish and 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Submerge the rack in that water and rinse it off
- Use a clean kitchen towel to wipe the rack dry. Don’t use a paper towel as it may leave some lint onto your rack. Don’t let the rack air dry as moisture can get trapped underneath, causing mildew.
How to remove mildew from your dish drying rack
Here’s what you need:
- Old toothbrush
- Sponge/soft cloth
Here are the steps to follow for removing mildew:
- Fill the sink/bucket/tub with some water. It has to be a large container that fits the rack inside
- Submerge your rack in the water
- Add ¼ cup of bleach for each gallon of water
- Soak the rack for at least 20 minutes. If the mildew is severe, you may want to give it more time
- After your rack is soaked, use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe away any left slime or mildew. Clean each bar of your rack so that you remove all mildew
- Use an old toothbrush to go through all the corners and tight spaces
- When you’re done with cleaning, rinse the rack thoroughly with clean water
- Let it dry completely until you use it again.
How to remove rust off your dish drying rack
If you’re using a stainless steel, you may experience some rust building up your rack. You may need to use in this case a special oxalic acid cleaner for getting rid of rust. You may find a cleaner of this kind in most major supermarkets. The cleaner isn’t just efficient for removing rust, but it’s also safe to use in contact with your dishes.
You may find a powder or a liquid version. You may want to try the powder as it allows scrubbing, therefore, a higher efficiency for removing rust.
You can sprinkle the powder or pour the liquid onto a damp cloth or use a damp scrub brush, scrubbing off the rust.
Don’t forget to rinse the area thoroughly when you’re done with scrubbing.